Monday, Jul 15, 2019
July and August are times when parents and family spend more time than ever with their children. It’s a wonderful time in the Capital District to explore together.
Here are some suggestions about how to stay busy AND get ready for school.
- Get out in nature! Children who have direct access to nature are better learners. Exposure to nature also has been shown in studies to reduce stress and increase attention spans.
- There are many options from The Crossings Or Albany Pine Bush to Lincoln Park and State Parks too! Most are accessible by public transportation as well.
- Read. Reading out loud with your child is one of the best activities for their brains- and it’s fun!
- We have a Pinterest board full of story ideas.
- Check out the Albany Public Library for books but also different ideas and events.
- Head over to Troy - the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology. A visit to CMOST will help you and your child explore, discover and imagine the exciting world of science and technology together. You can also head to Schenectady miSci - The Museum of Science and Innovation- which is museum and planetarium rolled into one - and there are events all summer.
- Check out “Slime Time: Meet Slugs, Snails and Worms” at the NYS Museum on August 3rd- learning about earth critters AND listening to an author read from her children’s book.
- Head to the Aquarium and learn about our underwater friends and sea creatures. Every day at 12 & 4pm there is a daily stingray feeding- little ones love hands-on adventures.
- Cool off at the pool or spray pool. Sometimes, it’s very hot and nothing beats the heat like our local pools.
- FREE fun - from movie nights to concerts, and even free theatre and fitness, are all available throughout the region.
- Need even more Kid- friendly events? Look no further than: https://www.albany.com/events/kids/
- Sports! Whether you and the kids play catch, Frisbee, mini golf or take in a professional game, like the Tri-City Valley Cats, focus on staying fit and enjoying being healthy/
- Look at the summer night sky is free and fun. Talk about the constellations, the galaxy and space.
The best thing of all is to spend time together and talk - children love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Bonus Activity: If you have not signed up yet, enroll your child in Head Start!