Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
If your household earned less than $50,000 you can have your Federal and State income tax return filled for FREE. ACAP's IRS Certified VITA/TCE Volunteer Preparer will help you complete your income tax return according to the current taxation laws. The VITA Program also offers FREE electronic filing of your completed tax return. All services are provided with the strictest confidentiality & accuracy of information.
The VITA Program is open to the public. It starts every February and runs through the first week of April. Services are by appointment only.
What to bring:
• Proof identification (License or DMV Non-Drivers ID)
• Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Wage and earning statements, Form W-2, W2G, 1099-R, from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
• Total paid for day care provider(s) and the day care provider(s)’s tax ID number (either social security number or EIN number)
• To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
The ACAP locations below currently provide VITA Program services:
Albany Community Outreach
333 Sheridan Avenue
Albany, NY 12206
Cohoes Community Outreach
20 White Street
Cohoes, NY 12047
Call the location nearest you to speak with an ACAP VITA volunteer to schedule your appointment or for more information on the income eligibility guidelines and required documentation.
For additional information and a complete listing of other VITA locations in the Capital Region, please click here.
ACAP's VITA Program is sponsored by the Interna Revenue Service (IRS) in partnerships with United Way of the Greater Capital Region and the CASH Collation.